Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Stir Fried Kale

The kale we grow (and sell) is Red Russian Kale as it is one of the most tender kales out there plus it looks pretty interesting. It is now ready to be picked and enjoyed.


I have people ask me from time to time how I fix kale. It's not one of those widely used greens so I understand why some are 'afraid' of it. I have a, now very big, folder with recipes in it that I have found here or there that sound interesting that I would like to try some day. Well.... I finally tried one of those recipes tonight since we now have plenty of the star ingredient. It was pretty easy and turned out fairly good so I thought I would pass it on so you could have another way to add more greens to your diet....or finally add kale to your diet.

OH-- by the way-- kale (along with cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts) contain chemicals that block the production of thyroid hormone, know medically as goitrogens. Kale (also chard, spinach, collard, mustard and beet greens) contain oxalic acid. Oxalic acid blocks calcium and iron absorption and may irritate the mouth and intestinal tract. Cooking destroys or neutralizes both of these harmful substances as does fermenting as in cabbage to saurkraut. So make sure you cook your kale.

Feel free to adjust/add ingredients to your liking.


*********************************

Stir Fried Kale

1 bunch kale
1 sliced sweet onion
1 ½ TBL garlic, minced
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
salt & pepper

Shred kale leaves and chop the stems into small pieces.
Heat a large skillet, covering the bottom with water.
Combine the onion, garlic and oil and put into the heated pan.
Sauté until soft.
Add chopped kale stems and continue to stir-fry 2 minutes.
Add shredded kale leaves and stir-fry until almost done, adding a bit of water as needed.
Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar & salt and pepper to taste.
Cook until done.

NOTE: This recipe can also be made using swiss chard. I also added some garlic bread seasoning from Frontier.


No comments: